The Bottom Line
- A low-methionine diet delays ageing in animals.
- If delaying ageing is your aim, methionine-restriction might be an easier option than calorie-restriction.
- High levels of dietary methionine can exacerbate psychopathological symptoms in schizophrenic people.
- Severe methionine-restriction lowers fertility in animals.
- Severe methionine-restriction stunts growth in young animals.
- Cutting out methionine completely is incompatible with life.
- Eat more vegetables and fruit, which are low methionine foods.